Leigh Anne Tuohy, Racism, and the White Saviour Complex

15 Dec

Leigh Anne “That Nice Woman Sandra Bullock Played In The Blind Side” Tuohy recently posted the following picture and caption on her Facebook and Instagram accounts:

10513495_789847224421069_4829368822853743530_n

We see what we want! It’s the gospel truth! These two were literally huddled over in a corner table nose to nose and the person with me said “I bet they are up to no good” well you know me… I walked over, told them to scoot over. After 10 seconds of dead silence I said so whats happening at this table? I get nothing.. I then explained it was my store and they should spill it… They showed me their phones and they were texting friends trying to scrape up $3.00 each for the high school basketball game! Well they left with smiles, money for popcorn and bus fare. We have to STOP judging people and assuming and pigeon holing people! Don’t judge a book by its cover or however you’d like to express the sentiment! Accept others and stoping seeing what you want to see!!!

The comments on both posts are full of people praising her – telling her how awesome she is, how open-minded, how kind. Reading these responses is completely baffling – like, did these people and I all read the same words?

Let’s break down what happened here:

1. Two teenagers were sitting alone and completely minding their own business.

2. A white woman decides that based on the fact that they are “huddled” in corner “nose to nose,” they must be “up to no good.” Because obviously whenever Black people (especially Black men) gather in public, it’s bad news for the rest of us!

3. Another white woman, one Leigh Anne “I Adopted A Black Boy So I Can’t Possibly Be Racist” Tuohy, decides that White Lady #1 is wrong. Which is actually the correct assumption for Ms. Tuohy to make, so I guess this is where some people are getting confused because we see that her intent is good, and that makes us want to believe that the action that follows will also be good. She’s at a crossroad here – two roads diverged, etc. Had she taken the road less travelled, Ms. Tuohy might have said to her friend, “Wow, you’re being really racist right now! I’m not comfortable with how this conversation is going.” Instead, she decided to confront the teenagers who, as a reminder, have done absolutely nothing wrong.

4. Leigh Anne Tuohy walks over to the two boys and sits there in silence. I’m sure that wasn’t scary for two Black teenagers at all, especially given recent events.

5. After what was certainly the most awkward ten seconds of those boys’ lives, Ms. Tuohy asks what’s “happening” at the table. Like, other than two teenagers sitting there talking like anyone sitting at a table might do? Some kids are hanging out and chatting. That is what’s happening.

Unsure of the correct answer to this question – other than “we are two friends sitting together and not causing any trouble,” which probably seemed too obvious for them to point out – the boys remain silent.

6. Leigh Anne tells them that this is her store and they need to “spill.” Again, these kids have done nothing except be in public and be Black.

7. After being interrogated by this woman, and probably afraid that at the very least she’s about the call the cops, the boys show her their phones. This part just breaks my brain, like, these two kids had to show this woman evidence that they are doing exactly what they seem to be doing: sitting at a table and having a conversation.

8. Apparently satisfied with the evidence the boys have presented her with, Leigh Anne Tuohy gives them bus fare and money for popcorn, but not before she has White Lady #1 take her picture with them.

9. Ms. Tuohy then posts this picture to social media and receives thousands of responses lauding her for being such a good person.

Leigh Anne Tuohy profiled two Black kids, invaded their privacy and interrogated them, but somehow people are behaving as if this is some kind of wonderful social justice moment. No. Not even a little. This is some fucked up racial profiling combined with white saviourism, and it is racist as hell. Assuming that those kids were doing something bad was racist. Assuming that she could take up space at their table was racist. Insisting that they talk to her was disrespectful and racist. Wanting evidence that they weren’t up to no good was racist. Treating those boys as props to make her look good and then posting this picture publicly (and honestly, I wonder if the boys consented to that) is incredibly racist.

Also, can we talk about how problematic using the phrase “don’t judge a book by its cover” is when it comes to talking about race? First of all, it begins with the assumption that the “cover” (or in this case, skin) tells you something unappealing about the contents of the book or person. It also implies that there is something unattractive or bad about the “cover” (or, again, skin). I can’t believe that I have to say this, but: there is nothing wrong or bad about Black skin. Black skin is not unpleasant or ugly, and to imply that dark skin might devalue someone is really, really fucked up.

Black people aren’t things. They don’t exist just so that white people can make a point about themselves. These are two real kids who not only had to endure this woman’s microaggressions but have now had their image splashed all over social media – the Facebook picture alone has 150,000 likes and over 12,000 shares. Step away for a hot second from this white woman’s narrative, and think about how those teenagers must feel – having their privacy invaded, having assumptions made about them based on their race, and now having a white woman use their images to get praise for herself.

Now tell me again about how Leigh Anne Tuohy did a good thing.

UPDATE:

One of the two teens involved has responded on Instagram (his name has been blurred out for privacy):

1610829_10154910203090551_2129773649951817695_n

Person One aka Teen Leigh Anne Tuohy approached at KFC:

Yeah people don’t know what really happened because I actually had money I have a job and have had one for over a year I was gonna pay for my brother the other guy in the picture but he was insisting on waiting on his uncle but his phone was dying so we were charging it which is the reason we were in KFC in the first place.and the game was only a 3 min walk up the street I don’t see why she said bus fare that kinda ticked me off a little but the way she worded it is making us sound less fortunate and that isn’t the case at all & when she came over to us she never mentioned her initial reason was because of her friends comment im just now finding that out

Person Two:

May I ask how she asked for the photo?

Person One:

Yeah she never actually asked for it as she was handing us the money she was like “hey you know what I think this would be a great picture” and everyone with her was yeah totally so we just kinda went along with the situation like sure why not your Michael Oher’s mom but the whole time I was thinking you know why’d she come up to us in the first place I was still clueless up until she posted the picture on social media and stated “the person with me said I bet they’re up to no good.”

970 Responses to “Leigh Anne Tuohy, Racism, and the White Saviour Complex”

1. rob December 22, 2014 at 5:52 am #

To be fair, teenagers doing something weird in public (like sitting nose to nose at a corner table in a restaurant) will draw attention regardless of skin color, so that part isn’t as racist as the rest of what happened.

2. JimmelY December 22, 2014 at 5:59 am #

You get it, you actually get it! This was a very refreshing read and having experienced this numerous times, it feels good that someone on the outside understands.

3. mumin December 22, 2014 at 10:23 am #

I totally disagree with the analysis. The lady could have handled it better but is she an expert on how to handle these things. She just tried to do some good and it wasn’t done in the best way. Live and learn. I’m going to have to assume there is more to this lady than what’s in this blog. Because this looks like text book character assassination to me. Either leave the lady alone or provide some constructive criticism to help perfect her technique.
    As to what I think she was trying to do, she was trying to put down negative rap towards to us in light of mass media propaganda by exposing the truth live. She made a few mistakes. Don’t we all.

4. nancy December 22, 2014 at 11:55 am #

Ugh.

5. VarietySkin December 22, 2014 at 1:57 pm #

Reblogged this on varietyskin.

6. darkmermaid88 December 22, 2014 at 3:48 pm #

Reblogged this on G-spot .

7. Sydney Shaw December 22, 2014 at 5:00 pm #

Reblogged this on Sydney Shaw.

8. layingfaithtorest December 22, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

Reblogged this on Laying Faith to Rest.

9. modernhippie December 22, 2014 at 10:39 pm #

I love how your brain works. It disected that situation perfectly. What mind fucks me is knowing how many people read that story that white woman posted and no one rlse put the pieces together? WAKE UP

10. modernhippie December 22, 2014 at 10:40 pm #

Reblogged this on My Complex Reality and commented:
    A perfect story to show how blind we really are

11. wheatfreesandy December 23, 2014 at 7:50 am #

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them” Mother Teresa

“I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.” Mother Teresa

“If we have no peace it is because we’ve forgotten we belong to each other.” Mother Teresa

“One of the greatest diseases is to be a nobody to anybody” Mother Teresa

“Words which do not give the light of Christ increase the darkness.” Mother Teresa

“People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.”

Oh yeah… and “Love One Another” Mother Teresa–a faithful disciple of Jesus Christ.

12. lostgraduatemagazine December 23, 2014 at 1:17 pm #

They’re people. It is pandering to our own beliefs to suggest that white people have to “save” blacks. I’m 100% behind supporting any equality in our society, but we have to stop and ask, “Did these people ask for MY help?” Am I assuming they are incapable of fixing their own problems? Am I making this situation worse?

Acting in the way Tuohy did suggests minorities are to be treated like children. Might have some good intention in it somewhere, but it all amount to “Let me buy you a Coke, because I’m sorry about slavery.”

• wheatfreesandy January 9, 2015 at 5:58 pm #

Here’s a newsflash: They Are children…. this entire blog illustrates only two thing…that no good deed or even intention goes unpunished…and that there sure are a Lot of bullies out here in social media land.

13. Gregory bunch December 23, 2014 at 5:29 pm #

Whoever wrote this story should be fired. This should have nothing to do with race! This is simply a nice lady tryin to help out some people and kill a stereotype that this page seems to want to continue! All I’m saying is if these kids are white this isn’t even a story, race will always be an issue unless we truly accept people for who they are.

• marksamuelson January 4, 2015 at 7:31 pm #

hahahaha fired from what?? someone’s personal blog that you came to?

14. runsquidling December 23, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

So, when I saw two young black men huddled together over their phones in MY store, I… continued wiping up spills, sweeping tables, emptying garbage, and generally staying out of their way? Because they weren’t doing anything and they didn’t look like they were trying to get my attention, so there was no reason for me to talk to them? They stayed for an hour and left, I wiped up their perfectly-average pile of crumbs (our pastries are SUPER crumbly, it’s not their fault), and that’s all that happened.

Because I don’t think young black men having a private chat need to prove that they’re harmless. They’re harmless. The end.

• wheatfreesandy January 9, 2015 at 6:16 pm #

So…when I saw two high-school kids at a table in MY KFC, plugging in their cell phone chargers and, generally, just sitting there loitering, I walked up to them & asked if they were going to BUY something in exchange for my electricity to charge their phones. If they say, no, they don’t have the money, or even just ‘no’, I let them know my BUSINESS is not a charity and ask them to leave–End of Story.

Now…which of us is the better, kinder person.. Me, who doesn’t give a damn about their personal issues and only that they are using MY electricity without giving me any business in return (happens every day in some fast food joint or another) or Leigh Ann, who, genuinely wanted to show her racist friend that the kids were not “up to something” just because they are black?? So, in so doing and being her kind-hearted self, she’s labeled a self-serving racist. Go figure. So, essentially, white folk are damned if they do & damned if they don’t?? I guess I would be labeled ‘racist’ for asking them to leave, right?? Get Real. All this amounts to is Mountains out of Molehills, people.

15. itsokayitskayy December 23, 2014 at 10:42 pm #

Reblogged this on itsokayitskayy.

16. Michael December 24, 2014 at 10:55 am #

Leighhandler nothing you have said has not been said before. If the world was so ideal and straightforward then you would be 70% correct. However although you have a different opinion to the author do not negate or attempt to trivialise the experience some black people are going through or have experienced. The reason why you are so mystified by the expression ? Of course you can not know how it feels like to be black facing racism unless you are black and have experienced what that individual has, as that individual. As a black person. This is logical.

I like your passion and drive though if not a little defensive at times. If you have expressed this much passion after reading this article imagine if you have gone through some of the things some black people have been throug? You would come out blazing.

As for the article. Again I reserve judgement cause I dont know the full facts.

.http://okay2disagree.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/racism-or-oversensitivity.html?m=1

• wheatfreesandy January 9, 2015 at 7:30 pm #

Good for you! Understand that a good many of us, although, not racists, are Not White Apologists, and would NOT come out blazing. That’s what you, and so many like you who have posted here, seem to want, however. Yet, when some white chica does try to make a difference in someone else’s racist perception (as Leigh Ann did) it’s just not ‘good enough’ for you, is it?? How patronizing can you get??

17. Abigail Cable December 24, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

Reblogged this on Walk Barefoot..

18. Jason w December 24, 2014 at 8:03 pm #

This is the most racist article ever. The author should be ashamed.

19. Michael December 24, 2014 at 9:35 pm #

Just on amother subject. 5 hours ago another black teenager was shot and killed near Ferguson. I have an article called Trigger Happy Policing which gives my view’s on this and I believe further activities which may result. Link above :-

I have another post on Police body camaras too.

20. test December 24, 2014 at 9:45 pm #

Reblogged this on mrrobin86's Blog.

21. Ctweet21 December 25, 2014 at 9:44 am #

I am with the first lady, any teenagers hanging around are no good! I would assume any teenager hanging around without a purpose, is up to some BS. I have done the same thing as Mrs. Toughy only I did not post a picture of FB or whatever. I was at the park with my son and a group of teenagers where just sitting at a table looking suspect. Truth be told they were bored, but I know what I was like as a teenager. If I was at the park sitting around I was waiting for something, “good” to happen. I am white the kids were white. So, how about we just say this lady likes to save kids, I do not think race has anything to do with it. If it did, well at least she did not call the cops and assume she was getting robbed. It is never being win win, I hate being white sometimes because we are all crucified for being white by some blacks. I think some of us over compensate because sometimes we have been labeled racist automatically because we are white. I live in an area that is 80 percent black population and I feel like shit for being white. I have actually had a co-worker tell me that she hated white people because we all felt entitled to be leaders, that I only worked hard to gain control over other people because that is what white people do. No, I like to work hard because I like money! This crap goes both ways/

• wheatfreesandy January 9, 2015 at 6:52 pm #

You should realize and be okay with the notion that it’s necessary for you to feel like shit for being white, and the assumption is you are,automatically, a racist–because you are white, period. That’s what the black racists want–for you to feel like shit for being white so they can feel superior–even though few living today had Anything to do with the racist crap that their ancestors went through and that they have the support of millions of white folk all over the country in the effort in battling racism–including Leigh Ann.

So, Essentially, if you’re white, ‘they’ (the poor me, I’m ALWAYS a victim of racism black racists) want you to know you are damned if you do care and damned if you don’t. ..and…they are teaching their kids by their example (attitudes, actions, and what they say) that white folk who ‘seem’ to care are merely pretending and that they are not sincere or they would play by some made-up rules of the real black racist hater-baiters that they have no idea exist. “You can only be your genuine nice self to us if you play by our rules, otherwise we’ll shout from the rooftops you are a racist. So now, since you keep screwing up by the way you show you genuinely care, we’re gonna blow it all out of proportion so We can educate you to what OUR rules are, even though they make No sense whatsoever and are totally counter-intuitive.”

That’s the entire point being made here in this blog and with so many who’ve replied. Funny, these two young men would NEVER have thought ANYTHING of the sort of this woman, Leigh Ann, UNTIL some black racist radio host (who, self-servingly, is out to get more listeners/followers/black advertisers so he can stay on the air and get paid more money) got a hold of them to drive it home, over and over again to them. I listened to the radio show broadcast and the two young men said they never would have thought that of Leigh Ann, themselves, until folks kept pointing it out to them. So, essentially, the black racists are poisoning the minds of truly good and intelligent young black folks and bullying/brainwashing them into accepting and/or thinking they (the black racists) are right–that ALL white folks are racist supremacists and that Everything they do is to be suspect.

22. shespiels December 26, 2014 at 3:44 am #

Reblogged this on shespiels.

23. shespiels December 26, 2014 at 3:51 am #

Please check out this blog! http://wp.me/p5ue5h-J so insightful and expressive! Make sure to SHARE as well!!

24. nonnya1nonnya December 26, 2014 at 10:26 am #

Never thought of it this way

25. amkdutt December 26, 2014 at 1:37 pm #

I know that some people are saying that this shouldn’t be an issue and it was just a woman trying to do something nice. But I am just sitting here thinking, if that was me at the table at KFC and some lady came up and did that to me, I would be extremely uncomfortable. Now I am a white girl so the possibilities of this happening to me would be thin to none, but just think about it. If someone came up to you at a restaurant, where you were just sitting there trying to mind your own business, and some lady interrupts you and says to “spill” on what is going on, no matter what your race or age, wouldn’t you be a little bit ticked off? It is completely obvious she was profiling them when they had done nothing wrong. It is never okay just to go up and interrogate someone, no matter who they are, without probable cause.

• wheatfreesandy January 9, 2015 at 6:57 pm #

Don’t bet on it, white or any other color, if you are sitting in MY fast food joint, plugging in your cell phone and using MY electricity, and are just sitting there shootin’ the breeze, while your phone charges, I Will walk over and ask if you are going to buy something…if you say no, or do not, I Will ask You to leave. See, I’m not as nice as Leigh-Ann, and, unless you appear to be homeless to me, I don’t give a crap about your personal issues–no matter what color you are.

26. ciarace December 26, 2014 at 10:07 pm #

Reblogged this on Ciara Cohen-Ennis.

27. solarey December 26, 2014 at 10:16 pm #

Reblogged this on sola rey.

28. JImbo December 26, 2014 at 10:22 pm #

Reblogged this on The Readneck Review Blog and commented:
    When the antiracist crusade becomes itself racist.
    Which to be honest us MOST if the time because simply pointing out color constantly instead of personal merit us itself racist. When someone keeps pointing out “African this” or “White that” then that’s racist, identifying only on color, even if their intentions were goidm Is accidentally incidental racism acceptable?

29. nikstar01 December 27, 2014 at 7:16 am #

Touchy’s helpful contribution to get the boys the money they needed to get to their basketball game. Is nothing short of a publicity stunt to promote her ego. Honest Charity does not need a picture promoted on social media, if it comes from the heart. There’s no need to sing and shout about it. Which is why this story cries out …here’s a attention seeker, looking to promote herself an a non racist franchise store owner. When sadly is does the direct opposite.

• Mark December 29, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

what the hell are you talking about “Honest charity”? do you think Save The Children cares if someone donates out of compassion or as a tax write off, just so long as the contribute? You spout off a lot of opinion as fact. go to school.

• sepiaroses December 30, 2014 at 8:07 am #

“Honest Charity does not need a picture promoted on social media, if it comes from the heart.”

I completely agree with that sentiment, nikstar01. As I said in another comment, I grew up being taught that when you did nice things for people, you shouldn’t “brag” and “boast” about it…but I think the thing that bothers me the most is that she thought it was normal and acceptable for her to attempt to gain a little bit of glory at two total strangers’ expense. And predictably, pull the tired, lame-o race card in the process, i.e. that remark about “not judging a book by its cover”.

If I had been one of the mothers of the boys, I would’ve felt that my kid had been exploited because of someone else’s arrogance and I’d feel humiliated for him. And actually, that is exactly how the mothers of these young men feel.

I think people who’ve spoken out against Tuohy’s actions are simply speaking of showing proper decorum, courtesy, and respect for others. Tuohy didn’t show this and forty dollars doesn’t make up for it.

• nikstar01 December 30, 2014 at 8:33 am #

Thanks for your reply Sepiaroses. I stand by my comment as there indeed so many undisclosed charity donars everywhere around the globe. Who make a point of only donating to charitites as long as they stay anonymous. Having worked for several charities here in the UK and running my own support group. I have first hand experience of this selfless act of honest charity. Your right this is nothing more than exploitation of two rather niave boys. If this was my children, I would be fuming. Luckily we have privacey laws regarding children’s consent here in the UK. It’s illegal to take pictures of children and post them anywhere without written consent of the parent first. Tuohy is nothing more than a glory hunter, desperate for praise and acceptance of her actions.

• sepiaroses December 30, 2014 at 8:58 am #

Wow, that’s a good law you guys have! And something that a lot of people here in the States really should pay attention to regarding this incident; even if we assume the best about the lady’s intentions, she still took a picture of two teenagers’ and blasted it worldwide without their parents’ permission. I mean, why in the ever-lovin’ world is this being glossed over by soooo many people? When you have the boys’ mothers themselves getting rightfully pissed about it, I mean, what else can be said in Tuohy’s defense? Just my two cents, LOL.

• sepiaroses December 30, 2014 at 9:03 am #

I’d also add that I wonder what the public reaction would be like if the races were reversed. If Leigh Anne Tuohy was a Black businesswoman approaching two young White men in her store, interrogating them over nothing and publicly exposing their business to the internet, angering BOTH of their families in the process, I kinda wonder how people would’ve reacted. I kinda wonder if she would’ve had fewer defenders.

• Grand Wizard Chilly Mo Bee-ski December 30, 2014 at 7:33 pm #

Oh, PUH-LEEZE! Sepiaroses, I know you are HELLA smarter than that. I know you can’t possibly think that even the remote likelihood of that scenario playing out would even garner an iota of an ounce of press. Even if the “Black businesswoman” approached “two young White men” with a loaded pistol saying, “Watchoo doin’ in here, honky?” would it get any sort of note. Well, maybe from local law enforcement, but certainly not what I have seen of late. The only way such a scenario would be spun so negatively would be in a skit on the Dave Chappelle Show.

• Shella Fronzaglio June 9, 2015 at 8:33 pm #

Maybe. Or she’s trying to show true racist people how to act – with kindness. & even if she is an attention ho, does that make her racist as people have ASSUMED (since we all know how well assuming usually works out)?

• wheatfreesandy January 9, 2015 at 7:04 pm #

…and you know that how?? I take it you know Leigh Ann, personally, and know she’s all about using others for self-promotion. By your logic, she is no more an attention-seeker than you are here, using this audience to make YOUR point.

30. nikstar01 December 27, 2014 at 7:17 am #

Reblogged this on Nikki Gill – Freelance Sports Writer.

• wheatfreesandy January 9, 2015 at 7:12 pm #

Oh, wouldja lookie here–the totally white nikstar01 is using this story for her own self-promotion, both in her posts here and in re-blogging the story while accusing Leigh Ann of being an attention-whore and shameless self-promotion. Go figure!

• nikstar01 January 20, 2015 at 5:23 pm #

Your clearly as stupid as your comment!! FYI i’m not white but Asian! Having an opinion doesn’t make me racist. Using foul language to make your point highlights your clearly lacking any form of education. As for your spelling..have you heard of a dictionary?! Look it up! And do us all a favour go back to school and educate yourself before you think of making another ludricious remark …which only makes you sound like a internet Troll! Oh FYI there’s laws against trolling too! If you ever went to school you’d know that too!

• wheatfreesandy January 20, 2015 at 8:19 pm #

Well, I guess you really put me in my place, now didn’t you? Clearly, you lack basic reading comprehension skills, for one who is so into education & all. Wherein did I say you were racist for voicing an opinion? However, being so quick to claim you’re not ‘white’, but “Asian” does make me wonder about your statement… as if being ‘white’ is something to be ashamed of? Oh, but here on this blog, apparently, it is, or should be, anyway, which is the entire point of the blog, isn’t it? No? Oh, it’s just being ‘white’ and actually giving a damn enough to try and make a difference in someone else’s racist perception, as Leigh Ann did, and is getting crucified all over social media for it, isn’t it? I’m no more of a troll than you, dear. Except you’re just an “Asian” troll with a superiority complex.

Here’s a clue… the term ‘attention-whore’ isn’t in the category of ‘foul language’ for most people. You might ‘educate’ yourself as to the meaning in the appropriate context before calling others ignorant–since you are so into education & all. Gotta love people like you who love to *think* they are so educationally/intellectually superior to others when they have no clue. But, hey, enjoy reveling in your superiority complex, along with so many others here who are ignorantly bashing a woman who tried to make a difference in a co-worker’s perception. If you’re white out there, beware, because word around town (or at least the net) is that you’ll be accused of having a ‘White Savior’ complex if you give a damn about the racist perceptions of the people in your world—you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t, evidently. As for me, I’m done with the s**t-pot stirrers like this racist blogger/whiner crying foul and his racist followers.

• nikstar01 January 21, 2015 at 12:45 am #

Well done you managed to string a coherant sentence together, cleary my advice to use a dictionary helped! Faceless keyboard warrior or internet troll, take your pick? As you clearly fall into both catergories. In case you get confused again, here’s what the definition of an “internet troll” is: A person whose sole purpose in life is to seek out people to argue with on the internet over extremely trivial issues. Such arguments can happen on blogs, Facebook, Myspace and a host of others. If your so confident your not one, why not add a genuine profile picture to your account?! Too worried the world will see the real you? And not like what they see?? Worried you will lose you anonimity! Easy to behind a faceless account, so not to be held to account. Where you can carry on spreading your vile hatred upon others. No I am not a racist of my kind, especially since half my family are white. Yet again your pathetic attempt to allude from your own insecurities and misgivings has failed miserbly. Please crawl back into the dark cave from which you came, where you can hide in the shadows of your faceless account.

• wheatfreesandy January 21, 2015 at 7:20 pm #

Well now, I guess you told me…again! Feel better now? For the record, I have a pic posted on my account profile–have no idea why it’s not showing up here, nor do I care. That said, unlike you, I don’t live for social media attention. You must be a pure joy to know in person with your superiority complex being so transparent. Here’s a final one-word clue for you: Hypocrisy. This time, you might be the one needing a dictionary. Look it up & gain some enlightenment for a change.

• nikstar01 January 21, 2015 at 7:29 pm #

Yawn…sorry no time for trolls!

• wheatfreesandy January 21, 2015 at 8:40 pm #

Yet, look at all the time you’ve invested, thus I stand by my initial comment.

• Grand Wizard Chilly-Mo Beeski January 21, 2015 at 8:43 pm #

Hello, Nicstar01,

Now I am in no way attempting to start an argument, rather I would like you to enlighten me on something. There were a couple of statements you posted that caught my eye:

FIRST POST
        “FYI i’m not white but Asian!”

SECOND POST
        “…especially since half my family are white”

Now it has been my observation that those who are bi-racial have the tendency to show favoritism towards one over the other, the majority of the time it would be the – shall we say – minority side. A perfect example of that would be my wife who is half Filipino; she considers herself Asian. Why is that?

Sepiaroses is certainly welcome to reply as I noticed that she put such emphasis on “proudly descend(ing) from former slaves.” I guess the assumption that needs to be made there is they were African slaves in North America due to the fallacious notion that that was the only slavery that existed in human history.

Speaking as someone who has a “multi-ethnic” heritage I am guilty of this, however I admit that it is done when it is convenient for me and with the knowledge and understanding that none of these groups would ever truly accept me as their own. That suits me just fine as I would never join any club that would have me as a member.

Notwithstanding all the anger in the posts of Wheatfreesandy, I must agree that there exists a mindset where everyone must reject their…umm…”whiteness” and guilt must be administered either by their own hand or forced upon by others.

• wheatfreesandy January 21, 2015 at 8:50 pm #

No anger on my part…just amused enough to point out the obvious superiority complex the prideful Asian from a white-family, apparently loves to indulge herself in.

• Grand Wizard Chilly-Mo Beeski January 21, 2015 at 9:02 pm #

I’m not attempting to argue Wheatfreesandy, but there does appear to be a certain amount of hostility in your posts. I see the points you are making, and while some I believe are valid and I agree with – not that that should mean anything to you – I cannot help but point out what lays on the surface of those points. “It’s not what you say, but how you say it.” That’s just my observation. Again, not that that should mean anything to you.

• Shella Fronzaglio June 9, 2015 at 9:00 pm #

nikstar01 – I have a very large vocab & a criminal justice degree, so while I know other words, sometimes I CHOOSE to have a potty mouth – not that I saw her use anything of the sort. Guess your education never included freedom of speech. & no hon, there are laws against cyber stalking & in some states cyber bullying, but being a troll is legal – lucky for you!

31. Casey Tanager December 27, 2014 at 8:11 am #

Reblogged this on Unique Illustrationz .

32. rubymirza December 27, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

Reblogged this on High School to Harvard.

33. angelicapoversky December 27, 2014 at 4:12 pm #

Reblogged this on Angelica Poversky.

34. Silent But Loud December 27, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

Reblogged this on BeTheLightToMyDarkness and commented:
    You can’t be black and go out somewhere without someone thinking that you’re “Up to no good”

• Shella Fronzaglio June 9, 2015 at 9:14 pm #

& you can’t be white without someone thinking you’re racist. We all need to change our thinking & try to meet up somewhere in the middle. There’s a country song:

“I’d start walking your way
      & you’d start walking mine
      & we’d meet in the Middle
      ‘Neith that old GA pine
      We gained a lot of ground
      ‘Cos we’d both give a little
      Ain’t no road too long
      When we meet in the middle!”

NOBODY has any idea how much I hope I’m still alive when we can meet in the middle & to quote Garth Brooks, “there’s only one race & that’s mankind!” – not that everyone doesn’t want to preserve their heritage of course, but that’s different! Can’t we give it a shot people?

35. KenMc December 27, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

Reblogged this on RANDOM TECH and commented:
    Wow people are sociopaths!

36. KenMc December 27, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

She wants to be in the spot light again lol

37. sassyfloridagem December 28, 2014 at 12:56 am #

I honestly believe in every day life, we encounter racism from all different races, towards all different races. I understand how this can be perceived as racism, but rather than look at it in a negative light, why not look at it as someone attempting to bridge a gap. Although I agree she did it in the wrong way, at least she made an attempt.

• Shella Fronzaglio June 9, 2015 at 9:16 pm #

Right or wrong, I wish we could bridge this gap! If people don’t try, we can never find the RIGHT way.

38. alexbloggged December 28, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

Reblogged this on alexbloggged.

39. SouthernSunshine_662 December 28, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

Reblogged this on SimplySouthern and commented:
    Very good. I like the way this young lady went about explaining another aspect of Racism and it’s not racist as some would say; it’s good writing.

40. mssensible December 28, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

Racist…may be too strong of a word. Opportunist – may be as it appears that she’s out to make herself look grand – We can’t discount that she may actually have a good heart and care for others however, everyone isn’t seeking or in need of her help. She tried it tho!

41. jamilouise December 29, 2014 at 10:54 am #

You make it very difficult for a “white woman” teaching in a non-white school to do my job for the reasons I do it – which is teaching kids. I’m so sick of fighting race demons. I guess you can tell me it’s easy for me to say because I’m on the “white” side of it. The Blindside was such an appropriate title for that movie. I’m so sick of hearing about black and white. Don’t get me wrong. She didn’t need to bother those kids, because no adult needed to bother those boys. You heard him. He had the money to get into the game. White Saviour Complex? Really? If I weren’t white and had the money to do it would it be ok for me to want to help kids like she did? Spend some time with my students and tell me – black, white, hispanic, asian, mixed… it doesn’t matter you would want to help them live in a better place. I’m a school teacher. I don’t have her money or the ability to do what she could. But it’s still about giving opoortunity and seeing that there are so many that don’t have it. I still do what I can to “save” those I can because the ones who are suppose to are failing them. I have watched it happen for 22 years. So don’t make all of us “white women” out here helping the “black boys” look like we are on some kind of power trip. It’s about being there for people – mostly kids. It’s not about being there for color. We need to stop seeing color on both sides of the “problem”. We are people first – especially when kids are involved. They didn’t ask to be put in the middle of this adult created mess. They just got put there.

• Warren December 30, 2014 at 1:58 am #

Thanks. Teacher here, too. For 30 years in high school, 50% Haitian, 90% African-American. College counselor as well. If I took the contempt in this blog and many of the comments to heart, I’d be afraid to help any kid, for fear it would blow up in my face. But I’m going to have to just blow this off and keep helping as best I can. Was Leigh Ann egocentric and condescending? Probably. But in the big scheme of things, this is all out of proportion. Does it really matter so much, one way or the other?

42. nikstar01 December 29, 2014 at 6:24 pm #

Ha Mark the keyboard warrior who’s too scared to even post a picture of his face in his profile….pathetic jog on little boy and hide behind your keyboard in your dark and dingy bedroom! When you grow into a man and develop some back bone then perhaps I might give you a second of my time. Until then you’re an non entity and irrelevant as your hateful comments to numerous posts on this thread.

• Mark December 30, 2014 at 3:57 am #

actually, it looks like you already devoted several seconds of your time writing to tell me that I’m not worth responding to (i need my Space Decoder Ring to figure out THAT logic). you had the time to call me out, but never to address or retract your nonsensical statement about “Honest Charity”. Your own comments are every bit as hateful as anyone else’s. You just assume because you talk in platitudes about charity, it makes you a nice person. you’re wrong.

• wheatfreesandy January 20, 2015 at 8:30 pm #

Hit the nail on the head, Mark. Evidently, she cannot see the hypocrisy in her remarks.

43. dannenberg December 29, 2014 at 6:50 pm #

Love it, you so totaly nailed it. The only really sad thing is that it had to be done.

44. Virginia Wagner Galfo December 29, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

Thanks for this post. We all have to keep shining the light on the truth, and you have done so, magnificently.

45. noeticluv December 29, 2014 at 9:35 pm #

Reblogged this on Black America from a Black American and commented:
    Equality also means not treating African Americans as if they are charity cases.

• wheatfreesandy January 9, 2015 at 7:43 pm #

Fine, stop being a black racist. You’re belief in ‘equality’ is, quite obviously, all one-sided, ergo your use of the terms “Black America” and “Black American.” It’s okay for you to see color from your perspective, right? We are all just “Americans”. Until we stop the racial division and labels (as in putting any qualifier before ‘American’) the racial divide will merely deepen and widen. Thanks for doing your part.

1. Its Not Your Fight | Awkward Silence - December 22, 2014

[…] that went viral. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about you can find the story here https://bellejar.ca/2014/12/15/leigh-anne-tuohy-racism-and-the-white-saviour-complex/) When I told her the story she said “I don’t know why you’re so wrapped up in all […]

2. Message to My Facebook Friends (and Friends of Friends) That Is Too Long for Facebook | Holding to the Ground - December 23, 2014

[…] I’ve posted a lot of links to and “liked” a lot of stories about the blatant racism that has lead to the deaths of far too many people of color. Most of my friends have been […]

3. A Love Letter to Black Twitter | BlackExpoNet - December 26, 2014

[…] drives the engine of mistrust between those who have an insider perspective to folks who seek to capitalize on our oppression. In any case, Black Twitter is a platform to flesh out—and subvert—these […]

4. It Doesn’t Matter if You’re Black or White | Blisters and Corns - December 29, 2014

[…] recent example of this was the blog article written on Leigh Anne Touhy, Racism and the White Saviour Complex. Having read the article and some of the other comments surrounding what happened, I would personally […]

5. It Doesn’t Matter if You’re Black or White | Dele Thomas - December 29, 2014