My response was as follows:
1. Stare blankly at computer screen, totally dumbstruck
2. Run around in circles, yipping excitedly
3. Run down to the store below my studio and tell the two dudes who are working
4. Try to explain to said dudes why I am so excited
5. Send my mother the following email:
MOM MOM LOOK I AM A REAL WRITER CHECK IT OUT
6. Receive this in response:
Congratulations. Great Job! Of course you are a real writer. I always knew you were a writer. Love, Mom
7. Go home. Realize that I am really, truly happy. Decide not to do anything about being happy, but instead just sit there and experience it.
8. Put on a pretty dress
9. Pick up Theo from daycare and take him to the park
10. Try not to think about the future
When I say, try not to think about the future, what I mean is: I will try not to stress at this moment about what and where I will be published next. I will try not to worry about writing something amazing, about being The Best I Can Be. I will take this for what it is: pure and unadulterated awesomeness.
This is good. This is good. This is good.