The Feminist Killjoy Gift Guide

8 Dec

Shopping for that special feminist someone in your life? Or maybe just looking to gift something to yourself because no one else is going to get you what you really want? Or maybe you’re just looking to support some awesome indie artists this holiday season. Whatever it is you’re here for, we’ve got you covered!

1. “This Princess Saves Herself” Necklace

Perfect for the man-hating video game aficionado in your life! Fuck waiting around for Mario, slay Bowser yourself like the bad-ass bitch you are.

il_570xN.618163030_2d44

2. “I Woke Up Like This” Tank Top

Channel your inner Beyoncé with this Instagram-worthy shirt. Because you are flawless, like a diamond! Although let’s be real no one else is quite as flawless as Queen Bey.

il_570xN.626285954_qebh

3. Pronoun Patches

Do some of the people in your life need a reminder of what your pronouns are? Would you prefer tapping a patch on your jacket to actually explaining again to some jerk-face stranger which pronouns you use? Or maybe these appeal to you Just Because. Whatever reason you might have for wanting them, these patches are pretty adorable.

il_570xN.566265507_an53

4. “Misandry” Hand-Stamped Bracelet

Because sometimes you want to dress up your man-hating ways. Perfect for a gallery opening, a fancy dinner party, or an awkward work function!

il_570xN.591747796_timb

5. “Go Away” Toque*

Perfect for the days when you want to leave the house and not come off as “an approachable girl who wants to hear about a man’s feelings.” Or when you want to read a damn book in public without having a bunch of dudes sally up to you and tell you how literary you are. Or just whenever, because being alone is awesome.

*Toque is Canadian-speak for knit cap, or winter hat, or whatever the rest of you weirdos call it

il_570xN.559434235_guzk

6. Ada Lovelace T-Shirt

Celebrate the first programmer, Ada Lovelace, and show those brogrammers what’s what.

il_570xN.685926345_amyp

7. “Riot Grrrl” Sweater Brooch Set

For your extensive collection of cardigans, and because you firmly believe in riots not diets.

il_570xN.422098049_luom

7. “Fuck The Patriarchy” Banner

Because your Great-Aunt Doris is coming to visit, and you need to spruce up the place a bit. This store also has banners that say “Merry Fucking Christmas” and “Get Shit Done.” I approve of their cussiness!

il_570xN.668601871_hg1u

8. “A is for Audre Lorde” Tote Bag

Use this sunny yellow tote to remind everyone that the master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house. You can also use it to remind yourself that you cannot be free while any other woman is unfree, even if her shackles are different from your own. Or just use it for your grocery shopping. Whatever.

il_570xN.621647418_6s6r

9. “Intersectional Liberation” Necklace

Because if your feminism isn’t intersectional, it’s nothing but bullshit.

il_570xN.540352572_ntt1

10. “Don’t Tell Me To Smile” T-Shirt

No one is going to tell THIS bear she’d look prettier if she smiled. At least, not if they value their lives.

il_570xN.684687785_4j5o

11. “Male Tears” Teapot

Concoct your favourite brew of male tears in this adorable pot. Or just use it to steep your Earl Grey (hot), whatever floats your boat.

il_570xN.694435678_j2um

12. “Transphobia Isn’t Cute” Embroidery

A gentle reminder to your guests that you’re not going to tolerate transphobic bullshit. Because feminism isn’t feminism if it’s only for cis folk.

il_570xN.692192148_chxi

13. “Girls Don’t Like Boys, Girls Like Aliens And Dana Scully” Sweatshirt

BECAUSE MULDER IS THE LITERAL WORST AND SCULLY IS OUR PATRON SAINT OF PUTTING UP WITH SELF-INVOLVED DUDES

394atb-w484h484z1-58283-girls-dont-like-boys-girls-like-aliens-and-dana-scully

Buy it on Look Human

14. “Fat Babe” Necklace

Fuck yeah you are a babe and you are fat and now you can let everyone know BOTH of those things with this sparkly necklace.

il_570xN.611050925_i85p

15. #Snacklife Uterus Poster

I don’t even know what is happening here, but I keep bursting into giggles every time I look at this picture so obviously I need to include it here.

12811_10154944485975215_4753579650263696382_n

16. Ruth Bader Ginsburg Mug

Perfect for sipping male tears/coffee/whatever elixir Ginsburg drinks every morning to help her kick ass all day long.

il_570xN.694341307_bifr

17. “Cats Against Cat Calls” Tote Bag

Thank god the cats are on our side because honestly I don’t know what we’d do without them.

il_570xN.685230759_tqxy

18. “Books Against Body-Shaming” Sweatshirt

Because reading is AWESOME and body-shaming SUCKS so why are we even having this conversation?

394triblk-w484h484z1-54036-books-against-body-shaming

Buy it on Look Human

19. “Ew No” Necklace

I am a sucker for anything with a deer on it and that goes double for a pretty necklace telling people to respect your boundaries

il_570xN.481455116_ljq8

20. “Colouring Outside The Kitchen” Colouring Book

Get your Crayola on with the likes of Josephine Baker, Nellie Bly, Rachel Carson, Soong Ching-Ling, Hillary Clinton, Claudette Colvin, Marie Curie, Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, Indira Gandhi, Emma Goldman, Sheikh Hasina, Billie Holiday, Mae Jemison, Mary Harris “Mother” Jones, Frida Kahlo, Billie Jean King, Tina Modotti, Annie Oakley, Michelle Obama, Georgia O’Keeffe, Yoko Ono, Betty Shabazz, and Madame C. J. Walker.

il_570xN.521225047_pr9c

22. Hypatia of Alexandra Necklace

Celebrate the original woman in STEM with this gorgeous handmade necklace. It gives you the chance to take a deep breath and say “WELL!” whenever someone asks you who that lady hanging between your boobs is.

il_570xN.690557909_8s29

23. Pink Middle Fingers T-Shirt

Re-defining the term “lady fingers” – they’re not just a fancy British cookie anymore.

il_570xN.660980153_8mq1

24. “Literally Anything Before Bros” Necklace

This pretty much says it all. Cats before bros. Wizards before bros. Old rubber boots before bros. Literally anything.

il_570xN.694585060_6a5a

25. “Valar Morghulis” Phone Case

Because when you’re busy texting in order to ignore a dude, you really want him to remember that YES ALL MEN.

Hopefully he’s a Game of Thrones fan.

iphone5sn-w484h484z1-59432-valar-morghulis-yes-all-men

Buy it on Look Human

26. “Be The Leslie Knope Of Whatever You Do”

Be committed, be kind, be funny and suspend your disbelief enough to put a positive spin on whatever situation you find yourself stuck in.

il_570xN.686067275_7h69

27. Wonder Woman Evening Bag

For those nights where you want to be fancy, but you still want to stay true to your comic book nerd roots.

il_570xN.360775229_h74m

28. “Seahorses Against Gender Roles” Shirt

Because the male seahorse is the one to go through pregnancy and childbirth. Seahorses: fucking up gender roles since whenever it was they evolved?

bb453wp-w484h484z1-48698-seahorses-against-gender-roles

Buy it on Look Human

29. Vintage Feminist Button Print Infinity Scarf

Feeling a little too grownup to plaster yourself with buttons, but still want a way to broadcast your ideologies? Off to a black-tie event and need something to spruce up that little black dress? Whatever the need, this colourful scarf is perfect for pretty much any occasion and is as adorable as it is aggressively political.

il_570xN.681344028_mn6a

30. Feminist Harry Potter Shirts

For the feminist Potter-head in your life. This one is a twofer: the Marauder’s Map-inspired “I Solemnly Swear That I Will Smash The Patriarchy” I and the heck-yeah-I-need-this “The Fucks I Give Are Like Horcruxes – Very Few And Hard To Find.”

2408blk-w484h484z1-46412-i-solemnly-swear-that-i-will-smash-the-patriarchy-gradient

Buy it on Look Human

2408atg-w484h484z1-61079-the-fucks-i-give-are-like-horcruxes-very-few-and-hard-to-find

Buy it on Look Human

69 Responses to “The Feminist Killjoy Gift Guide”

1. Very Bangled December 8, 2014 at 4:57 am #

Wait, did you cross your Rhianna and Bey references??? Curious minds who need an Ew No bracelet want to know.

2. Lisa December 8, 2014 at 5:12 am #

the game of thrones phone case is the best thing I’ve ever seen. Yes all men!

3. Laiyla Lane December 8, 2014 at 5:29 am #

Have to say I wouldn’t be best pleased with any of the lol

4. aubergdesigns December 8, 2014 at 9:28 am #

Thanks for featuring my STEM ladies! That’s the best thing anyone’s ever seen about my work. Seriously. <333

5. dodgysurfer December 8, 2014 at 10:38 am #

The ‘Go Away’ hat – sorry, Toque! – and ‘Don’t tell me to smile’ t-shirt are now on my Christmas list. I don’t see why a manly man can’t wear them. Not at the same time of course. That would be either cold or trendy depending on the weather, and I try not to be either. I’m not that manly.

6. dawnhiprose December 8, 2014 at 11:54 am #

Love it!!!

7. Susan P December 8, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Awesome. I’m laughing…

8. viviennemarks December 8, 2014 at 5:02 pm #

Hypatia of Alexandria necklace! Not just for STEM ladies, but for historians….. *glances at friends, wiggles eyebrows*

9. hrosson December 8, 2014 at 6:35 pm #

seems more like the angry teen girl Christmas list. I don’t know any feminist that would refer to themselves as a princess!

• erinfae December 9, 2014 at 1:22 am #

I’m a feminist and I sometimes call myself a princess.

• Lionbaby December 10, 2014 at 1:21 am #

Sophie Friederike Auguste, perhaps? Or maybe Elizabeth I? If the term existed while they were princesses, of course

10. Danika Maia December 8, 2014 at 9:23 pm #

I will definitely remember to be the Leslie Knope of everything I do hahaha. perfect.

11. Sam December 9, 2014 at 12:29 am #

Ha! All of these look awesome! Would you consider removing the LookHuman products though? They have a history of stealing from artists. http://thetrekkiehasthephonebox.tumblr.com/post/80216188074/ever-hear-of-lookhuman-you-probably-know-them-as

• K`shandra December 9, 2014 at 2:43 am #

I was thinking the same thing as I read through the list; glad to see someone’s already covered this.

• bellejarblog December 9, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

This list has already been syndicated/reprinted a bunch, so it would be tricky to change it at this point. I will for sure not include any of their products in future lists. Thank you for the heads up!

12. Jupiter December 9, 2014 at 2:09 am #

Reblogged this on crazy dumbsaint of the mind and commented:
    The best gift guide ever.

13. Kelsey Lynore December 9, 2014 at 2:20 am #

Awesome gift ideas! I would add: https://www.buyolympia.com/q/Item=you-are-nothing-without-feminist-art-tote
    It’s funny because it’s true. And if anyone challenges you, you simply respond — “Well, not to me, you’re not.” 😉

14. guessingatnormal December 9, 2014 at 3:05 am #

Love most of these, especially the Ruth Bader Ginsburg mug (because the Notorious RBG is one of my personal heros), and the Cats against Catcalls bag (because cats, and because it’s such a clever way to get an important point across, and because cats.) I also love that the coloring book spurred me to google several names I wasn’t familiar with and now I know who those fabulous women are/were. And the infinity scarf is just plain gorgeous. *sigh*

15. dee December 9, 2014 at 8:05 am #

Most of these items completely miss the point of feminism and promote man hating. all tthis does is advertise feminism as sexist when in fact it’s the opposite.

• Cirsova December 9, 2014 at 10:37 pm #

Shhhh, your internalized soggy knees are showing. Run. Run and don’t look back :O

• metarunemetarune December 10, 2014 at 5:13 am #

I was going to say the same thing. A bracelet that says misandry? Really? How would we feel if a guy wore a ‘jokey’ bracelet that said ‘misogyny’? I don’t think feminism should be about ‘being as sexist as guys are, lol’. That’s not what equality means.

• Chaka December 10, 2014 at 10:49 pm #

Very well put!

16. Sharn December 9, 2014 at 8:18 am #

Reblogged this on Spankalicious and commented:
    If you’re ever in doubt as to what to buy me… I’m going to start sending people here.

Like that tea pot with “male tears” written on the side. I think I’m in love…

17. Cassie December 9, 2014 at 8:32 am #

As much as I appreciate all the traffic the link is getting me, you’ve actually linked the Riot Grrl Sweater Brooches to my Feminist Killjoy Brooch listing on Etsy!

18. Fenn December 9, 2014 at 9:31 am #

Wondered if you’d like this awesome beautifully made queer kink stuff made from bike inner tubes.

19. Hello Vegan December 9, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

Thank you so much for featuring my Intersectional Liberation necklace in your outstanding gift guide! ❤ ❤ ❤

20. authorbengarrido December 9, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

If a party could be arranged in which all the objects mentioned above were proudly displayed, I believe the awkwardness would reach such heights as to legally require my gleeful participation. I’m actually imagining my family at such a gathering right now …

Thanks for this invaluable gift guide,
    Ben

21. feimineach December 9, 2014 at 4:51 pm #

I love every single one of them! Have reblogged.

22. katherinejlegry December 9, 2014 at 7:23 pm #

I dunno… so admittedly I laughed at some of this. I can’t help but sorta want a retro wonder woman coin purse and completely without nerd-self-awareness… Oh well. And LOL on the man tears tea pot… that’s just plain funny. But after the whole “don’t make feminism a commodity” that the F-Bomb video and t-shirt company brought to light via little girls dressed like princesses talking about rape, and using cuss words, why are these purchases/messages better? Is it because they are more indie-culture and less mainstream items? The shopping list also kinda plays into the stereotype that all women like shopping… and as readers go shopping among the guide… picking favorites, it feels like its minimizing feminism altogether… making a joke out of men and also making light of feminist values.

For some reason the “Feminist Killjoy” shoppers list reminds me of a what a modern version of the cartoon character Wilma Flintstone would look like… she’d be wearing The “I woke up like this” tank top… and still insisting on diamonds. Bad flashback: no future. Cavemen yelling and pounding outside of locked doors. “Wilma!” But at least the sisters still have Charge cards.

I totally don’t mean to cut down your work or that of the creations for sale… there was just something about this presentation that wasn’t funny.

I guess the killjoy title is very good.

A mixed review. But something interesting to think about.

• bluestgirl December 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

Hi, I like a lot of your comments on this thread!

For me, two important differences between this and the FKH8 video are: 1) open acknowledgment of commercial intent- when the FKH8 little girl video was all over my FB feed, the general implication was “this is an activist group with a message video,” rather than “this is product promotion.” And (more importantly) 2) there aren’t any actual children being told to discuss their own possible sexual assaults.

And I think that a bunch of these items *do* minimize feminism, make light of feminist values, and maybe whether it’s OK or not depends a lot on context? Like, as an in-joke among like-minded people, it’s a way of making light of ourselves, and also making light of the people who actually believe we’re like this. It feels good sometimes to say “haha I’m totally the monster that people think I am,” but only when everyone around already knows that I’m NOT. Which requires the trust that anyone who sees the item is already on the same page as me.

• katherinejlegry December 15, 2014 at 4:39 pm #

Thanks for your perspectives bluestgirl. I basically agree with all of the points you’ve made.

My more personal note:
        After further contemplation, I have come to the conclusion that feminists really can’t undermine themselves. That’s not real. If I have the ability to tell a joke (be it off color or politically correct) about men that can literally undermine all feminists and or woman kind, then I’d like to keep my power… I’d rather be that scary than bend over,if you know what I mean.

At first I was hyper sensitive to the way these jokes came across to the guys, but not anymore. Some might think I’m being hypocritical or keep calling me a “moron” for laughing at that man tears tea pot. And some will suggest I’m “gonna get what I deserve” because I wasn’t polite enough. Or because I didn’t take the time to garner their respect. Maybe that’s true. Maybe I don’t respect them enough. I’ll give them that. And in order to really “rule” we need a humane feeling towards people… so maybe when people like a.k.a. Poppy Pickles is feeling like calling out my “hysteria” and when “I could care less” I’m seen as the perpetuated problem and not the solution to the discomfort they are feeling. So, I accept my thorns. They confirm my boundaries.

My “thorns” however, allowed for the F*bomb video and I don’t see the girls as exploited. Not anymore exploited than we all are or have been or will be at some point in our global economy, anyhow.
        Commercialism/consumerism has never been high on my list of values. And I rarely buy slogan shirts for causes… so that wasn’t really on my radar as amiss. It was the discussion surrounding the video that brought out the ways we think girls should behave in an uglier way than the word fuck was being used. The discussions brought forward the parent fights over how to raise girls so they’d be likable and proper and good. That made me want to teach every girl under six to yell FUCK on count of three. I actually have more problems with Beyonce than I do the F*bomb video. And I know that’s blasphemy.

I do understand why people didn’t like the F*bomb video and I why they feel the company is disingenuous. These variables just didn’t outweigh the backlash that I saw as more controlling of girls.

Anyhow… I appreciate the discussion and this clarification opportunity with you! 🙂 Peace bluestgirl.

23. Sarah (Carnvial Goldfish December 9, 2014 at 7:23 pm #

Oh man! Thanks so much for including my “Don’t Tell Me to Smile” and other feminist animal shirts in this rad gift guide. Love it! I’m glad I found your blog.

24. markxneil December 9, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

I’m struggling to figure out if this is intended as parody or if it’s serious.

25. icebergmama December 10, 2014 at 1:32 am #

yaaaaaaaaaaaas

26. Olivia December 10, 2014 at 3:33 am #

Thanks for featuring my misandry bracelet – brought lots of Christmas rush traffic to my shop 🙂 Love the whole list!

• PoppyPicklesticks December 15, 2014 at 4:22 am #

Proof that feminists really will buy the most ugly, uninspired junk if it has something like “misandry” or “male tears” on it. LIke, if I stuck a dog turd in glitter and scratched “misandry” into it, feminists would probably throw the better half of their allowance from Daddy onto it.

I might as well get on on this, squeeze a few dollars out of some pseudo-intellectual womenchildren who still haven’t grown out of the “ew the opposite sex has cooties” stage. Make their arrested development work for me! Plus it does make it easier to know who I won’t bother with: a misandry accessory or tattoo on a middle class American woman is the feminist equivalent of a fedora after all.

27. TraciM December 10, 2014 at 3:47 am #

So honestly, a lot of things are cool here, but the Misandry is really disgusting. When you treat misandry like a joke and something to be flaunted, its no better than misogynists using “feminazi” as a throw away term. I’ve been a feminist for years – I studied it heavily in highschool and as a college student, but it was misandry that really drove me a way for a long time. The reason being that some of my most loved friends and relatives are in fact men. I have guy friends and brothers and relatives who have coaxed me through terrible times and have inspired me in many ways. It wasn’t until I went back to my “roots” so to speak and remembered that many of the founding feminists were far from Misandrists: many were married, had children, and in fact encouraged men to join the movement. I think it would be better for the entire movement just to stop using misandry as a “funny thing” and an empowering trait. All it does is continue spreading the stereotype that feminists are men hating, family hating and essentially want to destroy everything in society, instead of really turning the focus on the way patriarchy hurts us all.

28. Megan December 10, 2014 at 5:15 pm #

While I like quite a few of these (especially the RBG mug and the HP shirts), I think there are a few things in here that are problematic and contribute to the misconstrued definition and understanding of feminism. Let’s take a minute to remember that feminism is “the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.” Emphasis on the equal there. Feminism isn’t about misandry (hatred of men, in case you didn’t know), it’s about equality. It shouldn’t be about hate in any direction. This is why our friends’ friends get warned that we’re feminists, why famous hollywood starlets are frightened to call themselves feminist or say they aren’t feminists because “they love men”. We’ve lost sight of what it truly means to be a feminist. Don’t hate the man for having privilege, hate the patriarchy that gave it to him. And educate him to recognize his privilege and fight for the rights of all to be equal. /rant

29. Middle Class White Women December 10, 2014 at 7:01 pm #

Yes because nothing like referring to yourselves as princess or that women are perfect and men suck is totally a rational and feminist thing to do. God forbid that women have to share some responsibility for their actions. I also find it ironic that you are enforcing the patriarchy by instigating that women are pure, innocent that need to be coddled but yet shame guys for somehow having frustrations or weakness. I swear you people would sit there obnoxiously laugh about “what da about de menz” or “male tears” without realizing that a lot of men actually not only belong to other oppressed classes(like disabled men, trans men, black men, asian men, gay men) but you don’t give a shit because “Durr gurrrlll power” I should make a “Middle class white women tears” Cup just so you could get your heads out of your asses.

• katherinejlegry December 11, 2014 at 10:53 pm #

Golly middle class white wom(E)n … not sure about your multiple personality thing, but how would a cup of middle class white women tears help anyone get their head out of their ass? That doesn’t make sense at all…

I laughed at the man tear tea pot and also questioned the gag gift handling of feminism and the way it does exclude/alienate/hate on men… I’ve always advocated for the opposite things.

But the way you wrote your offended wounded and so insulting comment, makes me want to wear the pink middle finger t-shirt, directed at you.

So approach, approach! (speak) so softly and carry a big stick. Who is telling who to shut up and why? I mean really?

• PoppyPicklesticks December 14, 2014 at 4:43 pm #

Hilarious. A feminist cackling like something out of Macbeth over a “male tears” mug but then gets extremely offended over a “middle class feminist tears” mug.

Two drinks feminists just hate the taste of: truth tea and a taste of their own medicine.

• katherinejlegry December 15, 2014 at 6:30 am #

Hi Poppy. I’m not offended by the middle class feminist tears mug. I don’t even know what the joke is in that one, so whatever.

I don’t like the use of the words, idiot, moron, stupid etc. by the person I was commenting to, so as for your misinterpretation of the matter, I forgive you.

In terms of cackling, that’s not actually the sound of my laugh, although I am a fan of witches and if you wanna call me one, well Happy Halloween, Poppy!

In terms of Macbeth, well admittedly I adore Shakespeare so I accept your dramatic appraisal. So be it. Go ahead and label… so you can laugh laugh laugh laugh…

Because I’m feeling awesome today. I baked gingerbread men. And next head I bite off, I shall be thinking of you as I chew.

Woot!

• PoppyPicklesticks December 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm #

I dunno about you, but I laugh whenever feminists cackle about “wot about de menzzzz” when feminists constantly appropriate the social struggles of genuinely marginalised groups and make it all about straight, white, middle class women instead. You can’t utter a breath about homophobic attacks and gaybashing against gay men without some women’s studies major screeching that “homophobia against gay men is really the hatred of women” and “yes it’s very sad that this boy was beaten to death for being gay but we need to talk about the REAL issue:how gay men are often the worst misogynists of all” and “my OTP in Sherlock isn’t canon this is homophobia and misogyny at its worst” or “gay men need to prioritise women in their safe spaces not letting bachelelorette parties in is misogyny and gay male privilege” and “homophobia is the fear gay men will treat you how you treat women.”

Oh and remember how feminists spend every year trying to hijack a month about prostate cancer to make it about their armpits and pubic hair instead? Oh and that time when feminists took a story in which a 15 year old boy was violently gang raped so badly he almost died to go “YES BUT WOT ABOUT TEH WIMMINZZZ??!?!”

30. hisuidaze December 11, 2014 at 1:51 am #

Reblogged this on adventures in eccentricity.

31. Jon Olsen December 11, 2014 at 3:14 pm #

These are AWESOME. If I may, I wish to add this Never Been A Damsel tee: http://www.geekiana.com/tee-shirts/never-been-a-damsel-ladies-tee

32. richard leinaweaver December 11, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

“”body shaming ” has an ambiguity problem: from “shame” ? or “sham”? quite different message.

33. hdlex December 11, 2014 at 6:24 pm #

Reblogged this on HD Learns How To Write and commented:
    Honored friends, take heed. I require all on this list

34. Susan December 11, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

Lol. This list is awesome! I’m sharing it everywhere!

35. Hi December 12, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

Pretty good shopping list for the “I’m a completely uninformed tumblr feminist with a chip in my shoulder” type. I do sort of enjoy how some of you obliviously revel in your hypocrisy like you’re somehow one upping “the man” by proving how completely you don’t get it.

Look, a “misandrist” bracelet is neither clever nor ironic. Its just stupid. But hey, if you want to advertise your ignorance and propagate a stereotype of feminism at the same time, I won’t tell you not to, but I will tell you “I told you so” when people start (rightfully) calling you out for being a moron.

I mean when did feminism become a consumer demographic to pander to? Sad state of affair for feminists lately. I mean, if you can call third wave feminism actual feminism. I know many don’t. Personally, I’m on the fence between trying to convince myself the idiots are a vocal minority and just writing it off completely and shit like this does not help sway me to the former.

• katherinejlegry December 13, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

Hello Hi,
      The words you are using like “stupid” “idiot” & “moron” in order to “rightfully” say “I told you so” aren’t very honest.

Women have been historically force fed sexist jokes, made not just to endure them but to be the butt them.

So maybe some of the ladies went a little Nicki Minaj on this page… you know… where Nicki uses the same male tactics to stare at the face of her voyeurs while playing different archetypes for. She’s not always successful, but it’s a gender challenge. You become the thing they fear. In “entertainment” or comedy, you become a hyper or exaggerated form. It’s valid. Especially as a counter balance and response to patriarchal oppression… I mean there’s a lot more to it than this, but that’s some of it.

I didn’t think you were wrong about how the group show created a kind of commercial-stereotype about feminism and had the potential to alienate men, but when people like you come hollering the word “Idiot” and you aren’t even sure what side of the fence you’re on yet… because you still have questions about whether or not women should have equality, or if they have valid feelings about their experiences… well, then you don’t deserve a “fair” hearing.

Not one of the women who made these products is a moron. They didn’t do anything evil. They aren’t creating confusion for men about feminists. They are not dividing feminists. Clearly, it means humor is subjective. It depends on what mood you’re in. Who is telling the joke… etc.

• PoppyPicklesticks December 15, 2014 at 4:25 am #

For me the best part is the “seashorses against gender roles” and then have all the accessories that reinforce the gender stereotype that men who cry or show emotion are pathetic, weak, unmanly and are to be mocked. Feminists really do love to invoke and reinforce gender roles for both men and women whenever it is convenient for them.

36. PoppyPicklesticks December 14, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

What is it with spoilt little middle class girls and overpriced jewellery and clothing that says “misandry” on it?

An ex-friend of mine loved this kind of junk. Was born with a silver spoon in her mouth (trust fund baby who had daddy pay for everything) but was always quick to babble about how beautiful misandry was, and how Anne Frank had white privilege and that gay men were the most misogynistic men of them all and that if you didn’t use whatever social studies buzzword she had decided to assimilate into her vocabulary that week, you were “no better then the daily mail”.

Glad to have her pretentious, pseudo-intellectual persecution complex out of my life, even if it did give some amusing stories. Ladies, gentlemen, if you have someone like this in your life, do yourself a favour and don’t bother: all this is what feminists wear instead of fedoras (along with expensive, overpriced cat eye frames, so beloved of overly-privileged, pampered white girls who like to feel sorry for themselves.)

37. Steve December 14, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

“Transphobia isn’t cute” but apparently misandry and male tears is. And feminists wonder why feminism is failing

38. Samantha December 15, 2014 at 11:19 pm #

DO NOT BUY FROM LOOK HUMAN!! They are sexist, and only use feminism to make profit. ” and we have to print these dumb feminist shit” quote from worker. The peopling making these products do not respect women and their bodies or just as people. I know first hand. Please, not giving them money will better support women. Trust me.

39. Rebelle Haze December 21, 2014 at 9:26 am #

Reblogged this on Rebelle-Ution and commented:
    This is one of my most favourite gift guides!! Remember kittens you can show the feminist in your life that you appreciate her ass kicking ways any time of year, not just at Christmas.

Rebelle xoxox

40. allthoughtswork December 22, 2014 at 7:19 am #

The lady fingers one is brilliant.

1. The feminist killjoy gift guide | feimineach.comfeimineach.com - December 9, 2014

[…] the bellejar (with links to esty […]

2. Recent reads. | perry street palace - December 10, 2014

[…] The Feminist Killjoy Gift Guide. The Belle Jar (Dec. 2014). [Needz moar rainbow strap-ons. -Ed.] […]

3. i saw linkspam kissing santa claus | No Award - December 12, 2014

[…] The Feminist Killjoy Gift Guide […]

4. Weekly Recap| Dec 7-13, 2014 | Oh, the Books! - December 14, 2014

[…] Anne shares her feminist killjoy gift guide. […]

5. Sunday feminist roundup (14th December 2014) | feimineach.comfeimineach.com - December 14, 2014

[…] a Very (feminist) December: 13 gifts you have to give (bust): "We were inspired by The Bell Jar's Feminist Killjoy gift list so much that there was just no way we couldn't make our own feminist gift […]

6. OUR SUNDAY LINKS : GUTS Canadian Feminist Magazine - December 14, 2014

[…] Sow talk about the books, music, TV, and movies they loved this year. And THEN: check out the Belle Jar’s Feminist Killjoy Gift Guide (featuring misandry bracelets, fuck the patriarchy banners,  some sweet t-shirts and tote bags, […]

7. Last-minute feminist gift guide! | I was a high-school feminist - December 22, 2014

[…] BelleJar.ca put together a feminist killjoy gift guide. […]

8. Christmas Cheers and Holiday Haul | The Reef - December 27, 2014

[…] the perhaps brooch something to hold in place, Edmund took me at my word when I said I would adopt The Feminist Killjoy Gift Guide as my Christmas wish list, so he gave me the Infinity Scarf (#29 in the list.) Amusingly, when I […]

9. Mach den internationalen Frauenkampftag zu deinem #feministdayoff | Kleinerdrei - March 6, 2015

[…] Das Wochenende ist auch eine gute Gelegenheit an ein feministisches Projekt eurer Wahl zu spenden. Mädchen- und Frauenhäuser haben das Geld oft sehr nötig. (Eine gute Gelegenheit, vorher zu fragen, wie trans*inklusiv sie sind.) Noch mehr Ideen dafür, Geld auszugeben, für euch selbst und Menschen, die so toll sind wie ihr, gibt es beim Feminist Killjoy Gift Guide. […]