What Happened To Jennifer Lawrence Was Sexual Assault

2 Sep

TW for talk of sexual assault, victim blaming, misogyny

You’ve probably heard about the nude photographs of Jennifer Lawrence that were leaked online yesterday. The leak also included nude pictures of Kirsten Dunst, Ariana Grande, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and several other women, but, naturally, it’s Lawrence who’s drawing most of the heat because she’s super-famous right now. She’s also known for being charmingly awkward and honestly if I had to place any bets I would guess that most people were hoping that she would respond to this with some kind of hilariously crass Real Talk about sex and her body and being naked. I keep seeing comments by people who want her to provide the punchline to this joke; what they don’t seem to understand is that this is not a joke, this is a form of sexual assault.

Jennifer Lawrence and the other women involved in this leak were photographed in the nude with their consent – however, they did not consent to having those pictures published publicly. And just to be very, very clear here because the last thing that I want is for someone to misunderstand what I’m saying: lack of consent in a sexual act – in this case sharing nude photographs against someone’s will – is what makes this sexual assault. The person or people who leaked these photographs committed a sex crime, and it should be treated as one. Anyone who chooses to look at those photographs is complicit in that crime. Unless Jennifer Lawrence has specifically given you permission to look at these specific nude pictures of her, doing so violates her privacy. It doesn’t matter that she’s famous, or that you don’t know her personally. It double doesn’t matter that she’s hot. Looking at those photographs is a violation of her person, end of sentence, full stop.

Another thing that we need to be very clear about: this leak was not Jennifer Lawrence’s fault, or the fault of anyone else whose nude pictures were shared without their consent. It did not happen because they had nude pictures stored on their phones or in iCloud. It did not happen because their passwords weren’t good enough. It was not an accident. It happened because someone decided to deliberately commit a theft of personal property. It happened because someone leaked that private personal property online. It happened because of an illegal act committed on purpose by one or several people. It did not happen because some hot famous women just weren’t careful enough.

But women can never be careful enough, can we? If we take naked pictures of ourselves, we’re asking for it. If someone can manage to hack into our accounts, we’re asking for it. If we’re not wearing anti-rape nail polish, we’re asking for it. If we don’t take self-defence classes, we’re asking for it. If we get drunk, we’re asking for it. If our skirts are too short, we’re asking for it. If we pass out at a party, we’re asking for it. If we are not hyper-vigilant every single fucking second of every single fucking day, we are asking for it. Even when we are hyper-vigilant, we’re still asking for it. The fact that we exist is asking for it.

This is what rape culture looks like.

This is what misogyny looks like.

They look like Perez Hilton posting Jennifer Lawrence’s nude photographs on his site, and then refusing to take them down because the story is “too big to ignore,” and anyway the pictures are “no big deal” and “HOT.”

They look like this dude, whose response to one of the leak victims was to tell her that he masturbated to her pictures:

ETA: @zaiger has apparently deleted his tweet, but it was in response to this:

They look like this notice on Reddit, where the nude photographs are being shared without any consequences, forbidding anyone from posting information about the people who leaked the photographs.

Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 8.12.37 PM

And these are just a few small samples. If you need more evidence of how disgusting people are being, feel free to search for “Jennifer Lawrence” on twitter and take a quick gander at how many people are blaming her for being the victim of a crime, or else celebrating the fact that they have access to pictures of her that she had intended to keep private. Many people are doing both in the same fucking tweet, because that’s the world we live in. Because it’s fine to participate in a sex crime as long as you think it was the victim’s fault. Because women are just never careful enough, and they deserve whatever’s coming to them. After all, that’s the real message here, isn’t it?

DSC-S70Pixels

Advertisements

105 Responses to “What Happened To Jennifer Lawrence Was Sexual Assault”

1. Courtney September 2, 2014 at 12:38 am #

Exactly right

• Carl Evans September 3, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

I call this separate expectation of a woman’s life: Jane Crow

2. Rebecca Meyer September 2, 2014 at 12:42 am #

“The fact that we exist is asking for it.” That is so powerful. It is awful that people blame victims whose private pictures were stolen and leaked to the world. When it’s a man’s leaked naked pictures, it’s “funny” or wasn’t his fault, but if it’s a hot girl, it’s her fault and she’s a slut? It’s ridiculous. Violations of privacy are serious, and the hackers shouldn’t just be able to get away with it. It’s disgusting.

• Dream Menagerie September 3, 2014 at 8:51 pm #

I absolutely agree!! People act as if it were the women’s fault that their pictures were leaked – it is NOT! Just because it is the internet does not mean we can rummage through people’s things! How would the media/ public react if those pictures had been stolen by somebody actually breaking into their houses??

• Rebecca Meyer September 3, 2014 at 9:44 pm #

So true!! It’s a privacy violation, and just because the pictures were leaked doesn’t mean it’s the victim’s fault.

3. Lori Carlson September 2, 2014 at 12:46 am #

Reblogged this on As the Fates Would Have It and commented:
    Bravo! Finally, someone has the courage to tell the truth of these crimes.

4. Tori September 2, 2014 at 12:56 am #

This is all so true and well written! I am so disgusted that this is the kind of world we are living in.

5. cllgarrison September 2, 2014 at 12:57 am #

Reblogged this on CARLI GARRISON and commented:
    This is perfect!

6. Beth Caplin September 2, 2014 at 1:01 am #

If it were money stolen from these women, we wouldn’t hesitate to call it a crime. Well said.

7. deweydecimalsbutler September 2, 2014 at 1:14 am #

I’m with you, 100%. They act in movies. That doesn’t mean people get free access to them. They don’t negate their privacy because they are good at acting in movies. The end.

8. Deb September 2, 2014 at 1:41 am #

Reading your blog post and in the other room the news is re-telling the story once again. Interesting that everyone interviewed in person and the “experts” are all male and all giving the standard, and implied discourse that it is somehow these women’s responsibility to police the internet. Thanks for a great post.

• Deb September 2, 2014 at 1:45 am #

Also reblogged on I am therefore I write with a kudos and thank you for speaking out.

9. Deb September 2, 2014 at 1:44 am #

Reblogged this on I am, therefore I write and commented:
    A great response to the latest hacking incident. Well said and kudos to this blogger for speaking out.

10. oliviahwatkins September 2, 2014 at 1:52 am #

Reblogged this on Inside This Skull.

11. loveatthirty September 2, 2014 at 3:12 am #

Reblogged this on Love at Thirty and commented:
    I agree and feel really terrible now that I looked at the pictures, especially having been a victim, myself, of sexual assault, when I was 22. 😦

12. Rachel Creager Ireland September 2, 2014 at 3:36 am #

You can get banned for posting info about someone on reddit, but not for stealing and posting nude photos of someone else? MFers.

13. Jess September 2, 2014 at 3:49 am #

Once again you have eloquently stated my thoughts and feelings. I’m usually too angry to properly form sentences about these things.

14. Matthew September 2, 2014 at 3:58 am #

Misogyny? You’re so sexist and you don’t even know it. There were nude photos of males leaked as well. How do you think he feels?

You’re out of your mind and you’re sexist.

• Crysania September 2, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

Right. Let’s just make this one about MEN. Can you tell me which male celebs had their photos shared in this leak? Because I can’t find any evidence of it.

• evelynyeats September 5, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

I’m sorry, did you even read the rest of the post? Or did you just pick out the one piece of info you could use to turn this into a hateful post? Look at the what someone has done: they’ve spoken the truth as it is against people who objectify women and take advantage of unfortunate situations. If that line is the only one that stood out to you, you have missed the entire point of this post and I honestly pity you. Open your mind. The author of this is in no way sexist, but it is a well known fact that women get persecuted much more than men for showing off their bodies. He was addressing this matter. Girls at schools get called out on for having their bra straps showing. God forbid any boys know we wear bras!!!! Do you see how ridiculous it is? He is speaking for the benefit of the females who are constantly, every day in society being brought down and judged. You completely missed this. It all flew over your head. And if it didn’t, you must just be too ignorant to acknowledge it. I pity you.

15. aqilaqamar September 2, 2014 at 3:59 am #

Reblogged this on Iconography ♠ Incomplete and commented:
    Apparently, people like Jennifer Lawrence’s and many other people’s nude photos were leaked on 1st September. Mary E. Winstead said in a tweet it was an invasion of her and her husband’s privacy and that she was enraged by it a guy commented he felt great after he came (motherfucker). It was not funny to do this so why are we making it funny?

16. mayadita September 2, 2014 at 4:15 am #

Reblogged this on A Beautiful Catastrophe and commented:
    This is so powerful. If we’re woman doesn’t mean we are ASKING for it.

17. Lisa Perese September 2, 2014 at 8:02 am #

This is spot on!

18. M September 2, 2014 at 8:12 am #

Those women that took the nudes had to have known the risks involved. I don’t classify this as sexual assault or rape as they weren’t physically touched. A very different and more damaging experience. Yes it’s a crime but not what you have labelled it as. I am of the opinion that some women invite inappropriate and harmful behavior based on their own actions and appearances, and I’m a female

• crysania4 September 2, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

It is not harmful to have nude photos of yourself taken. You do that for or with someone you trust. Just think how your statements would sound if they had stolen their expensive jewelry. Is she asking for it because she wore a diamond necklace? Is it “harmful behavior” to drive an expensive car? It IS a form of sexual harassment or assault and should be labeled as such.

• johnblacksad September 22, 2014 at 1:05 pm #

“Is she asking for it because she wore a diamond necklace?”

Out of two random people, the one that has a diamond necklace has much more chances of getting robbed for their diamond necklace than the one that doesn’t have a diamond necklace.

Jennifer has her free will to wear diamond necklaces and take nude pics of herself knowing that the world is full of diamond necklaces robbers and perverts, but the the unfortunate truth is that the hackers, although it’s bad, illegal, morally reprehensible, etc, have their free will to engage into hacking activities, just like diamond necklaces robbers have their free will to rob people off of their diamond necklaces… I know you’re intelligent enough to know that in no way do I condone anything illegal… I am merely pointing that tons of people do illegal things everyday.

It’s the beauty of life… EVERYBODY gets to do whatever it is that they wanna do! And I love it!

• Carol September 3, 2014 at 12:00 am #

M, I agree with your comment.

• Jessica September 3, 2014 at 2:40 am #

It’s possible for anyone with the skills required to steal your debit card number and stealing money out of your bank account. Is it your fault? No. Most people say it’s your personal, secured account with your own personal data, and it’s wrong for someone to take that. Do you agree? Now, what is the difference between that and someone hacking into your personal phone and stealing your personal photos?

• B September 3, 2014 at 11:39 am #

Then you’re utterly fucking ridiculous! Women should be able to act and dress however they want without men thinking they can essentially assault them. Why should we have to cover ourselves up and be aware of ourselves all the damn time when men can walk around without tops on and act however they want and rarely suffer a consequence? If this happened to you, I’m sure you’d blame whoever leaked the pictures, so why treat these women any differently?

19. Cathy746books September 2, 2014 at 8:15 am #

Ricky Gervais tweeted that if celebrities don’t want nude pictures leaked on line they shouldn’t have nude pictures of themselves. Would he say the same if it was jewellery stolen, or money? Should they stay inside in case they are attacked? Great piece. Call it like it is.

• ocsic September 2, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

Ricky Gervais was right though. No nude pics == zero risk of them ending up online. I cannot see how pointing that out “blames the victim”.

Argument by analogy is dangerous, but to continue your jewellery example, putting pictures in iCloud is like giving someone you don’t know your jewellery to look after. I wouldn’t do that. Would you? I also don’t go to places where I think I might be attacked or robbed, though it surely wouldn’t be my fault if I were.

I feel terrible for the women who are the victims of this crime, and for the countless nameless others whose private pictures are online. I know how I would feel in their shoes, and that’s exactly why I never let myself be photographed in any potentially compromising way.

The world, sadly, contains bad people, and it’s everyone’s obligation to keep themselves as safe from harm as they can.

• bellejarblog September 2, 2014 at 9:26 pm #

You literally pay Apple to offer you a secure service. That is part of why you give them money. It is not like giving your jewellery to a stranger – it’s like paying a security guard to take care of it.

• Dan September 3, 2014 at 12:22 am #

I’m not trying to belittle what has happened to these women, but it is also important to not belittle the dangers of putting anything in storage on an off-site system. Information in general can be acquired on the internet by anyone with the know-how. Thinking that because you pay Apple for a “secure” file storage system is like paying for anti-virus and expecting to not have anything ever happen to you.

Hackers and security systems are like a sword and shield. One is always improving to catch up with the other. In this case, the security can’t stop a hitherto unknown style of intrusion from happening. Any data saved off-site or posted online is capable of being compromised period. And if there is a known style of intrusion and it STILL isn’t prevented, then that goes to show that there are plenty of companies that are fine with taking your money for sub-par security.

Again, I do agree this is a crime and anyone involved in the actual theft or viewing should be abhored, but by saying that online security has nothing to do with it ignores that there is also, for starters, a rising level of game streamers getting “Swatted”, where they are raided by SWAT teams in their own homes because hackers discern their address either through carelessly shared information or actually using Pizza/Taxi companies to find out and call in bogus reports. I’m not implying one is more important than the other, but I am saying that there is a common thread, and it’s one that has been brushed under the rug.

If people don’t understand that hacking isn’t magic and electronic security isn’t, then people in general will continue to suffer for it. No matter if it’s a nude picture, credit card information, or your home address, if it is put online in any form, no matter how supposedly secure, there is a very real risk of it being stolen. The Heartbleed bug, for instance, stole millions of credit card numbers in April. I’m sure plenty of people changed their passwords at the behest of various sites and didn’t even know why.

tl;dr version: YES this is a form of sexual assault, and is deplorable. YES internet security has a massive part in it. Understanding the tools we use every day is important.

• Alex September 3, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

He’d’ve probably said that you shouldn’t leave your wallet on the table at a restaurant while you’ve gone to the loo.

20. ameliaappletree September 2, 2014 at 9:29 am #

I do agree with most of what you said. These celebrities do not deserve to have these photographs leaked and their privacy has been violated. But in which country do you think this constitutes sexual assault? Because it doesn’t in UK or US.

21. Frances September 2, 2014 at 9:50 am #

I hesitate a little with this. I am quite open to having my mind changed, however. The way I see it, what makes this a crime is that those women’s private property was deliberately hacked and stolen. It doesn’t matter what that property is – jewellery, a tv or photos – they were taken illegally and thus a crime has been committed.
    Where I hesitate is with the idea that this is a sexual crime. It is the same hesitation I have when people talk about the “sexualisation” of young girls who wear bikinis. There is this underlying idea that girls’ and women’s bodies are inherently sexual things that need to be kept hidden and private and that if someone looks at a photo of a naked woman it is automatically sexual. My body is a not a sex object, sex is one of its functions, but apart from that it is a beautiful amazing organism that sustains me. Taking photos of your body is a lovely thing. Wanting to keep them private is absolutely understandable. But there is no shame in someone seeing your body. Jennifer Lawrence and the other women have nothing at all to be ashamed of and for anyone to suggest they do (which I know you’re not doing here, I am addressing the attacks against them) betrays the idea that the body is shameful and allowing others to see it is somehow a nasty act that should be hidden.
    I would not be happy about any of my private photos being splashed on the internet for others to see but the unhappiness would lie in the fact that someone completely overstepped my boundaries and took something that belonged to me and that was clearly precious and kept behind security for a good reason. The sense of violation would come from the feeling that someone deliberately and maliciously evaded my security measures and wanted to hurt me by displaying the crime they’d committed.
    But I don’t accept that this was sexual assault because that implies that those women’s bodies are automatically sexual. They are bodies, young healthy bodies, as beautiful as any pictures of sunsets or babies. Those women didn’t want them to be shared with the world, and they have every right to feel violated and angry because of that. And men might wank to them, sad bastards that they are. But I would like to see one of those women come out and say “yeah that’s my body, we all have one, so what? The issue here is the fact that laws have been broken, not that I’m naked you childish fucks.”

• r September 2, 2014 at 3:14 pm #

yes thats true but when someone feels that they have been sexually violated even with just the pictures it becomes a sexual act to them maybe not to you but for them its a sexual act

22. Callani September 2, 2014 at 9:53 am #

Fantastic article – very well said. So many people are choosing to ignore the vital distinction between public and private despite the fact that the hackers had to use very sophisticated technology to steal these photos.

To the men who have been defending viewing these photos I say – imagine if tomorrow morning your entire web history was shown to everyone you’ve ever met – your family, friends, colleagues, boss – and everyone you will meet will have seen it and judged you on it too. And when you complained about it, people said “oh well you logged on to those websites – it’s your own fault” or even “Oh stop fussing, everyone worries about penis size occasionally, and your hair line isn’t receding that much so why are you moaning about it?” Because that begins to acknowledge the violation of privacy that has happened to these women.

23. musingmolly September 2, 2014 at 10:48 am #

Reblogged this on Wise Without Wisdom and commented:
    I was going to write a blog post about this today to voice my feelings on this horrible exposure and violation of privacy but I feel that this pretty much covers everything I wanted to say. The fact that the person who stole the photos is selling them to the people leaking and exposing them is another highly overlooked part of this story. The people responsible for the publicising of these pictures are the people who should be covering the media and should be the subjects of all negativity towards this, however, modern day society insists that the victims of this situation be the ones to suffer, as if they haven’t suffered enough.

24. bareartinc September 2, 2014 at 11:28 am #

Reblogged this on In Fitness and In Health and commented:
    because this is too messed up to ignore. too important not to be shared. there’s nothing sexy about sexual assault.

25. lidsamy September 2, 2014 at 11:42 am #

you jumped the shark Anna. What is happening to christina women and children via the savagry of ISIS is sexual assault. What happened to Jennifer Lawrence was a phone hacking. Bitch, please.

26. lidsamy September 2, 2014 at 11:46 am #

Reblogged this on lidsamy and commented:
    Tell ya what. Let’s ask any rape victim if she’d like to go back in time and have her phone stolen instead.
    See the Belle Jar jump the shark and trivialize rape in one nasty blog post.

27. lidsamy September 2, 2014 at 11:47 am #

reblogged as what a piece of crap.

28. incurablehope September 2, 2014 at 11:54 am #

Reblogged this on Incurable Hope and commented:
    This post is perfection. Just sayin’.

29. tendernessontheblock September 2, 2014 at 12:16 pm #

Rape victims/survivors don’t have a monopoly on the sexual assault, and it’s dangerous to introduce a crude hierarchy.

Contextualising contemporary forms of sexual transgression in the West, is not incompatible with sharing abhorrence and horror at the use of sex crimes in Syria – these would legally more likely be defined as ‘war crimes’.

Whatever the semantics of this, and I think language will be relevant in legal terms, it would undermine the valid and urgent need to critically assess the emergence of these forms of unsolicited access to personal information, and the consequence of placing them in the public domain.

• ameliaappletree September 2, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

Rape victims don’t have the monopoly on sexual assault but victims of sexual assault do. What has happened to Jennifer Laurence is illegal and terrible and feel nothing but sympathy for her. But it is not sexual assault, which is a term used to define a specific crime in law.

• tendernessontheblock September 2, 2014 at 3:04 pm #

These are discussions certainly worth having. However, dismissing the piece and equating it with outright belittlement of rape victims is not helpful to that though, and only shuts it down. No-one person has a monopoly on righteous anger or sympathy towards the situation in Syria either. Responsible discussion cuts a number of ways.

Just my tuppence worth.

• ameliaappletree September 2, 2014 at 3:08 pm #

I don’t think this article should be completely dismissed. The fact that these pictures were leaked and the ensuing opinions on it being their own fault or that they somehow deserved it because they’re attractive women is disturbing and wrong.
        But mislabelling a crime as sexual assault is going to lead to people being misinformed and developing a misunderstanding of the law.

• tendernessontheblock September 2, 2014 at 3:11 pm #

I think these matters are in state of flux in the context of the law. How this will be viewed or legally interpreted in the future remains to be determined.

I was referring to the previous poster’s comments. It’s not enough to go bat shit over someone’s mislabelling of the crime and dismiss the piece altogether, which is what the poster before did.

That’s all.

• ameliaappletree September 2, 2014 at 3:14 pm #

I don’t think the law is going to change, nor do I think it should but that is just my opinion. What happened to these celebrities is already covered by other laws.

I agree with you on that bit. You should look at the whole of a piece of writing. There are parts I agree with and other parts I disagree with.

• tendernessontheblock September 2, 2014 at 3:16 pm #

Same here. And fair enough comments from yourself.

• bellejarblog September 2, 2014 at 9:36 pm #

“but victims of sexual assault do” … but you literally have no idea what my history of sexual assault is, because that’s something I’ve never spoken about.

In my opinion, what happened does fall under the definition of sexual assault as presented by the Supreme Court of Canada:

“Sexual Assault is defined as an assault of a sexual nature that violates the sexual integrity of the victim. The Supreme Court of Canada held that the act of sexual assault does not depend solely on contact with any specific part of the human anatomy but rather the act of a sexual nature that violates the integrity of the victim.”

• ameliaappletree September 2, 2014 at 9:50 pm #

I made no assumptions about your personal history. I’m not sure what difference it would make to what I said if you have been the victim of sexual assault, which I think is what you’re implying although that’s not quite clear from what you’ve said.

Thank you for answering my question about which country your definition applies in. However, since Jennifer Laurence and I think at least some of the other victims of this crime are American citizens, I think it’ll be dealt with by the American legal system.

30. A Voluptuous Mind September 2, 2014 at 12:23 pm #

Wonderfully put.

31. Camille Fouillard September 2, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

I love your clear no holds barred relevant cut through the crap essential voice!

32. CassMorrisWrites September 2, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

Reblogged this on Scribendi and commented:
    I have a lot of thoughts and feelings on this topic, and this post hits them all with eloquence.

33. elsasdiary99 September 2, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

oh my god the anti-rape nail polish is an actual thing! i thought you were making a joke and so i laughed; then i saw an article about anti-rape nail polish on the guardian website…. and now i weep at the stupidity of it all. excellent post though.

34. AmazingSusan September 2, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

Reblogged this on a dog's breakfast and commented:
    Sexual assault? Absolutely.

35. genevieve y September 2, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

Gah THANK YOU! The comments on all the articles about the photo leaks yesterday disgusted me. People were commenting about how they’d take nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence over news articles of ISIS any day. It was very disturbing. It still baffles me that there are plenty of people who are EXCITED that nude photos of women were leaked and they seriously have no clue that this is wrong, is a violation of someone’s privacy, and is a sexual assault.

36. K.M. OSullivan September 2, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

Reblogged this on http://www.kmosullivan.com and commented:
    If we’re going to pick sides here–and it seems social media needs us to do just that–I’m in the camp that believes the recent photo hack that put intimate photos of celebrities out there for anyone to see was a criminal act. When I make a photo public it is a conscious decision. I have many photos that are not for public consumption, as do many people, including those who live lives in front of the camera. Their privacy is not optional because of their chosen careers. So don’t tell me this is the price them must pay.

What is worse is the number of people and “news organizations” who excuse the reposting of the photos as acceptable because of their “newsworthiness”–we just want to make sure people can see what all the fuss is about, we’re just offering people a chance to judge for themselves. Bullshit! . This is about, and has always been about, ratings, rankings, and notoriety. Those people and anyone else searching for the photos out of curiosity or “to get a reference point” are part of the problem. This was and remains an illegal act. Do not be sucked into the hype.

37. AllyBFraz September 2, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

Reblogged this on Cornbread & Pumps and commented:
    This is a great blog about how society participates in rape culture. Be aware, breaking the cycle might start with you.

38. Kerrie McGiveron September 2, 2014 at 3:38 pm #

You’ve summed it up really well here. It makes me angry and sad at the same time.

39. drivebytrucker78@gmail.com September 2, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

10 years ago, I mistakenly got into a sexting conversation with an ex girlfriend who was devastated when I dumped her. A year or so later, she found out that I had recently got engaged. She found out my fiancee’s e-mail address and e-mailed her some photos I sent her that night.

This type of situation can happen to either sex. It’s probably more productive to condemn these actions without focusing on the feminist point of view.

Let’s not forget; There’s twenty hacked photos of Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander that were made public too.

• ugh September 3, 2014 at 1:13 am #

Can anything happen to any woman ever without someone pointing out that it once happened to a man?

40. Frances Murphy September 2, 2014 at 7:59 pm #

Interesting. I would never have interpreted ‘stolen’ nude photos on the web this way in the past.

41. smartypants196 September 2, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

bellejar, oh you have it so right, you called it that its an abuse of her rights, and for people to blame the victim for being hacked is the same as when people blame the woman for looking attractive and being raped. Poor Jennifer, what a violation. Its a violation to all our sisters who are just trying to live our lives and being abused in any form.

42. rebeccahchristine September 2, 2014 at 11:11 pm #

Reblogged this on That's what she said and commented:
    An excellent article. For those saying the theft and dissemination of these photos doesn’t constitute sexual assault, Statistics Canada defines level 1 sexual assault as “an assault committed in circumstances of a sexual nature such that the sexual integrity of the victim is violated. Level 1 involves minor physical injuries or no injuries to the victim.” While these women have not been physically injured by the photos (at least, not that I’m aware of), I think we can all agree that their sexual integrity has been violated.

43. Aly September 3, 2014 at 2:17 am #

Although there are many powerful statements in the text eluding to society demoralizing women on a frequent basis, “just because”. It doesn’t make matters much better when pop culture and the masses that help it achieve such a status is celebrating such “artists” as nikki minaj who glorify sex for trade. Young women will never learn to cherish and respect the power and beauty of their bodies until society helps to return that power to them. Unfortunately the majority of young women of this generation will be humming to “my anaconda don’t want none unless you got buns hun” while taking nude selfies in their bathroom, setting themselves up to be the prey to such heinous crimes.

• I September 3, 2014 at 10:05 am #

Although there are many powerful statements in the text eluding to society demoralizing women on a frequent basis, “just because”, but let me also add a long ass comment about those silly young girls and their silly selfies and don’t they know better right fellas having the audacity to make their own decisions shouldn’t they know they can never be careful enough. Oh and Nicki Minaj is horrible.

This is what you sound like. Think about your choices. Think about your life.

44. eric September 3, 2014 at 3:20 am #

stop a second to consider that she’s basically trivializing the suffering of every single actual molestation victim.

45. eric September 3, 2014 at 3:21 am #

This is what a girl friend of mine has to say: “Speaking as someone who has been molested/abused/repeatedly raped in a physical sense rather than simply being admired and lusted after for being attractive, fuck you. Fuck you so very much.”

Stop a second to consider that you’re basically trivializing the suffering of every single actual molestation victim.

46. carol September 3, 2014 at 9:08 am #

Great article, thanks for posting it. Stealing naked pictures of a woman and publishing them on the internet is every bit as much a sexual violation as taking upskirt shots and publishing them, or hiding a camera in a bathroom so as to get naked shots of unsuspecting women and publishing them. The fact that the victims were not actually physically attacked is utterly irrelevant and no more a defence than saying that women should not have worn skirts or should not have taken their clothes off to have a bath, if they didn’t want to be viewed naked by millions of strangers.

I assume all the men who have posted that it was the victims’ fault would be perfectly happy if a stranger took photos or videos of them in the nude or during sex by installing a secret camera, say, without their permission and posted them online so millions of strangers could peer, leer and criticise their bodies – all whilst blaming them for not having had the sense to spot the hidden camera.

The reality is that to some men, all women are ‘guilty’ – guilty of having a vagina and breasts that they are selfish enough not to share with any sad male that happens to fancy them. It is this attitude of male entitlement towards women’s bodies that is indeed at the root of the rape culture. So again, thanks for a really great article.

1. Avert Your Eyes | Self-Love: It's Just Another Lifestyle Change - September 2, 2014

[…] TO ADD: As is so often the case, The Belle Jar says it much better than I can: "Because it’s fine to participate in a sex crime as long as you […]

2. Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photo Leak Isn’t A “Scandal.” It’s A Sex Crime. (feimineach.com) - September 2, 2014

[…] See also: What Happened To Jennifer Lawrence Was Sexual Assault (bellejar) […]

3. Leaked Nude Photos as Sex Crimes, Not Scandals | Feminist Philosophers - September 2, 2014

[…] Post from The Belle Jar […]

4. Why You Should Be Furious About The Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photo Leak | Beutiful Magazine Online - September 3, 2014

[…] think this passage, posted on The Belle Jar says something very troubling but […]